Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The plight of the working mother

Today Matthew is sick and I am at home with him. My self-professed "family friendly" employer took this news less than happily because Wednesday happens to be the day that the person I job share with has her RDO.

The feeling of worry I had earlier today about his health has been washed away and now replaced with guilt. Guilt that I have asked to have the day with my sick child. Guilt that others have had to re-arrange their schedules to accomodate my family. Guilt that I am now feeling guilty about work instead of focusing on my son.

4 comments:

Ellie said...

Bastards. Don't let them make you feel guilty. You are entitled to take sick leave.

And besides you were in the other day being a good employee sharing your lurgy with them. I hope they all catch it now.

Hope MT is feeling better.

Jodie said...

You have no idea how often I have the internal argument with myself 'am I well enough to go to work? Should I call in sick? Will they be okay without me?' yada yada. Guilt, both ways, it's awful. So I understand...but at the same time, Ellie is right (of course!)
Hope M is alright!

red in oz said...

Sending you a big virtual hug right across the world.

Don't feel guilty, you have your priorities spot on, your employer clearly doesn't!

Hope your little one is feeling better soon. One thing's for sure, nothing will make him feel better faster than having his mummy around to look after him if he needs it!

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

'Mummy Guilt' I loathe it. Try not to worry too much about re-arranged schedules, any one worth their salt will understand, and the ones who don't can stick it!