Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Finally...

It’s finished! Took a long time though, I must admit and there was even a stage when I wondered if it was destined to become another one of my many half completed projects stuffed back in the sewing box. It did take me many weeks to psych myself up to do the binding – for some reason I was terrified. First I wasn’t sure if I would have enough of the fabric I wanted to use and next I was put off by the thought of having to hand stitch the back of the binding. Ugh, boring…

Anyway, I learnt many things along the way:

  1. Hand stitching the binding is not that hard after all.
  2. I really need a thimble.
  3. And a walking foot.
  4. During the quilting stage, even when you think you have more than enough pins to keep it all from moving, add 10 more.
  5. 3 year olds should not be allowed to “help”.

    Here’s a close-up of the binding from the back:


Probably not perfect, I imagine the CWA ladies would have a field day with the faults but there has been too much self-congratulating going on for me to worry about that sort of nonsense… ;P


5 comments:

Ruth said...

Your quilt looks really good. It's such a nice design. Nice job on the binding - it looks really neat and sits well. Fantastic!

Ellie said...

Oh hello clever clogs...looks fantastic.

Who is the lucky recipient?

Car said...

Love it Shannon - good work on completing it!!!

red in oz said...

Great work Shannon, hoping mine will look half as good. What is next? Keep it up.

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Looks perfect, in a non-CWA kind of way! (They would probably weigh it, and deduct points for it being too heavy!!) I've got a thimble, but I never use it, cause the skin on the tip of my fingers is so hard!