Friday, March 14, 2008

My best friend

Many cheers to Ellie for providing me with a topic to write about after 2 weeks of stagnation.

My best friend and I have known each other since we were 12. We met in grade 8 (she was a boarder also) my partner in crime ever since. For ease of reference, I shall reduce some of the more interesting points of our (extremely) complicated friendship down to dot points:

- She has two beautiful children, Boy 6 & Girl 5.
- We never acknowledge each others birthdays.
- We actually haven’t spoken IRL in better than 12 months and rarely by email.
- She has moved to a town 3 hours from me yet neither of us have bothered to make contact again.
- She taught me to smoke.
- I taught her to burp (but I’m still better at it than she is…ner ner)
- At her 18th birthday party her mum smacked me on the bum and sent me to bed because I was very drunk.
- She is the most unflappable person I have ever known. Nothing stresses her. Ever.
- She’s extremely generous and would do anything to help anybody out of a jam.
- She is however bloody hopeless with pets. She once ran over her own cat in the driveway.
- Every night before going to bed she has have a cup of black tea with sugar and a cigarette.
- She’s one of those annoying people who are completely coherent the moment they get out of bed whereas it takes me ages to work out what the hell is going on when I wake up.
- She was my lucky charm at school. I would never get caught doing something naughty if she came along – if she wasn’t there I was invariably in hot water.
- We once walked from school to town to go to friends birthday lunch. We arrived soaking wet because it seemed like a good idea at the time to frolic in the sprinkers outside Oxley’s on the River along the way.
- In grade 11 I promised I would be able to make her hair a lovely lustrous shade of black by dying her hair with Magic Silver White. I threw the whole bottle in for a more dramatic effect and managed to stain her face and hands purple for the next two weeks. I still don’t think she’s forgiven me for that.
- She was once nicknamed “Truckie” by a male friend of ours. (I really hope she’s not reading this – I will be in a world of pain for disclosing that particular titbit).

I’m not big on this tagging thing. I’m pretty sure I only have 3 regular readers who have blogs of their own so I am running rapidly out of tagees. So, Jenn, Candi and Amoir, take pity on me and consider yourself tagged. The rest of you, go get yourself a blog so I don’t look so lame.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Snr Hillbilly thinks your BF is piss funny. He was laughing the whole way through your story. He wants to know did you literally get a smack or are we talking figuratively?

Shannon said...

No,it is a true story. She literally smacked me on the bum. Her mum is actually very good value. She put up with a lot from all us bloody kids...