Monday, February 25, 2008

Monday memories - week 3


My mother recently located this photo of me doing my GI Jane impersonation. I was 20 and joined the Army Reserves. T & I lived in Rockhampton at the time and I had to travel to Townsville to my recruit course - this photo was taken minutes after my Passing Out parade. I was officially a Private.

This photo is actually really hard for me to look at. My father was thrilled beyond all belief when I told him I was joining up - we are a military family from way back and my brother had never shown any interest in enlisting. It was not long after that T & I moved back to Brisbane and I joined up with the Transport company at the Enogerra Barracks. I had just suffered some ear problems when our platoon was made to told we would be taking on what was affectionately known as "Heartbreak Hill" - a gruelling 2km run up a steep moutain. Needless to say I didn't make it and with my ego left in tatters around me I did what I do best. I quit. Dad and I have never officially spoken about this decision however I do know for a fact that he was shattered.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

Well of all the little tidbits we have shared with each other over the years I don't think you have ever told me about your time in the reserves. Great pic you look so young.