Sunday, September 27, 2009

2010

It occured to me today that my baby will start school in just 4 short months. We received an information pack from the school the other day and will be told who his teacher will be in early December. I'm not ready.

He seems so much younger than Matthew. Matthew was 5.5 years old when he started - Ryan will only be 4y 10months. Plus he's little. The size 6 shirts swim on him, which makes him look even more adorable. I am predicting tears on the first day, from both of us, which didn't happen on his brother's first day. Matthew spent most of his toddler & pre-school years in daycare whereas Ryan has had far more one-on-on time with me at home. I've recently discovered that his best friend from daycare will be going to the same school as him so we've tried to arrange that the boys will be placed in the same class, although there are no guarantees.

And for our part at home here, we are going to help with the transition to big school by very helpfully having another baby. We've carefully planned it so that it is due to arrive in the first few weeks of the school year - perhaps if we are really lucky we could aim for the first day. Wouldn't that be nice?

We broke the news to the boys the other day - Matthew immediately stated he hoped for a boy (twins if possible) so that they could finally play TMNT without having to imagine the extra two participants. Ryan was fairly unfazed about the whole situation, probably because he has no idea what he is in for. The only thing that seemed to really ruffle him was Matthew explaining exactly how the baby was likely to find it's way out into the real world - Ryan immediately saw how ludicrous that situation would be (and rightly so, I say) and assumed that we were taking the piss. He hates being the butt of the joke (pardon the pun).

So there you go. The first few months of 2010 are likely to be busy and exciting times here at The Shack. Fingers crossed both events go smoothly...

(P.S - I have been sporadically blogging about this pregnancy but just not posting. Feel free to read all related posts here.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am bad enough with Violet starting preschool in 4 months time, let alone big school!

Hope he goes well

Jodie said...

Exciting times indeedy! Do tell me all those posts were hidden before and I didn't somehow just discover them?
At least you'll have lots to blog about :P

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

I had no idea! Congratulations.

I was just saying to Joel yesterday that I remembered how I felt this time two years ago. I was utterly terrified of starting Alexander at school. We seriously considered holding off a year, on the advice of his paed who said he wasn't ready and would struggle.

Joel felt strongly we were wrong. He was right. Alexander has absolutely thrived. He is happy, healthy and top of his class.

I hope that Ryan loves school just as much.

Shannon said...

Awww, thanks for that Melissa. Makes me feel much better. I'm positive he will love it but I'm not sure I'm ready to let him go just yet!

Shannon's Stalker said...

I knew all of this stalking would pay off....I nearly fell off my chair last week when I read about Fergus III - CONGRATS to you and your boys!!! Keep your legs crossed now, so that bub stays in there!! :)

Shannon's Stalker said...

Righto!!! Has the growing baby eaten your brain yet??? I think not!!! SO, to state the bleeding obvious....where is the next blog???!!! Very hard to stalk you these days!!

Shannon said...

Well, you could try ringing me! How's that for a novel idea?

Better still, come for a visit... :)

Shannon's Stalker said...

AHA!! **Said in scary menacing tone** You have been found again and committed to Stalker's Favourites!!! No longer safe!!!! baahahaha

Unknown said...

شركة الماسة لمكافحة الحشرات بالدمام