Thursday, May 28, 2009

Broken wing

My poor boy has broken his arm. He fell out of a tree he was climbing at school on Monday morning. He did a spectacular job of it - the red circle on xray below shows the bit that is broken. It should be over in the space where the blue arrow is pointing.


Thankfully I was just at home when the school called me. I got there quickly and asked them to call the ambulance for him. There was no way in the world I'd have been able to move him, he was in too much pain. He was so brave - I can only imagine how much it would have hurt and how scared he would have been but he did nothing more than a bit of a cry when the pain got too bad.

The ambulance took him straight to the hospital while I raced Ryan home to stay with Tom's parents (who incidently deserve a medal for all the times they have come to our rescue lately). When I got to the hospital, Matthew was still holding it all together. I thought going by himself in the ambulance may have freaked him out a bit but he was fine. After they did the x-ray they warmed me that he would be taken to surgery to have it repaired. I was thrilled to hear that the orthapeadic surgeon was they same surgeon who did FIL's hip replacement last October - he is a great doctor and a lovely bloke to boot. Matthew had actually met him in the past so that helped a lot to ease the fear.

Matty finally made it to surgery at about 4.30pm. He is now sporting a couple of pins in his elbow to hold it all together and will need another anaesthetic in a few weeks time to remove the pins once his arm has healed. For now, he is wearing a blackslab and will have his proper fibreglass cast put on next Monday. I think he's looking forward to the kids at school being able to sign it.

Here he is in the emergency room, looking fairly unhappy. Note the unnatural point of his elbow. Ugh.

Sleeping peacefully after surgery.
He hasn't been in too much pain since he has been home. He was very tired and worn out the first day but is now just going about things with surprising ease.
Kids are amazing - and you in particular young man, are the bravest of them all. xx

6 comments:

Jodes said...

Oh, poor little Matthew.

I hope that his recovery is textbook. I remember being a bit jealous of all the kids that got casts for everyone to sign when I was at school.

Did you go to Ipswich Hospital? My bestie is one of the doctors in the A&E there.

Anonymous said...

Oh ouch! Hope Matthew is feeling better soon :-(

Shannon said...

Yep Jodes, Ippy hospital. In my experience (and there's been a few!) they are great for emergencies.

How did you go with the flooding last week?

Shannon's Stalker said...

Shags!!! Have been waiting for this update...Matthew is one of the bravest boys ever!!! He looks so vunerable and damn cute in the hospital, that I just want to squeeze him tight!! Hope the recovery is going well!!

PS Glad you are giving your 'blog' some much needed attention :P

Jodie said...

Oh he looks so sweet and peaceful in that last photo!
Poor darling.

Ellie said...

What would a little angel be doing climbing a tree.

Hope he is starting to feel a bit better.