Sunday, April 20, 2008

Annual JIA Family BBQ

Every year the wonderful Montrose Access host a BBQ for families living with JIA. It's a great way to catch up with all the other families in an informal setting and see how all the kids are going and also to meet new families. Our first BBQ was three years ago but I remember vividly the rush of emotions I felt- relief at discovering we are not alone, devastation when I realised that just how many kids are afflicted by the disease and how cruel it can be, a spark of hope watching how well the older kids cope with their disability.

Yesterday we met for the first time a seven year old girl who also has Uveitis. Until now, Matthew had been the only child registered with Montrose with the eye condition associated with JA so it was indeed exciting find another mother who could relate to our situation. Her daughter has had a total of 15 surgeries in her seven years, six of which have been on her eyes. Around 12 months ago she had the lens in her right eye removed due to cataracts and now wears a contact lens in the same eye as Matthew.
~~~
On a related topic, my thoughts this weekend are for my dear friend Jodie, who also had JIA as a child. J noticed yesterday that her gorgeous little girl has a swollen knee. She's off for a blood test Monday to rule out Arthritis. Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health. xx

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Oh Shannon, you have made me cry!
Thanks for being such a darling and thinking of us...I'm very grateful to have your support, just wish that you didn't have to *know* why I'm freaking out!
Glad you all had a fun day at the BBQ!
PS - How very 'look at moi' of me for this to be my first comment on your blog :P